Monday, September 11, 2006

In memory of Edwin J. Zambrana Jr.



On September 11, 2001, almost 3000 innocent people lost their lives at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and in a field near Shanksville, PA. We all saw pictures of the missing on TV and saw the list of the dead. But who were those people? What were their lives like? I'm going to tell you a little about one of the names on the list: Edwin J. Zambrana Jr.

Edwin, or Eddie as he was called, was a 24 year old living in Graniteville on Staten Island. He loved playing basketball and Michael Jordan. He helped take care of his mother who suffers from lupus.

Eddie had started working at the WTC only a few months before September 11th. He was a memeber of Project Renewal, a contrator that handled the cleaning and recycling at the WTC. His father, Edwin Sr., who also worked at the WTC helped his get the job. His father was able to make it out of the towers that day. Eddie did not.

Edwin J. Zambrana Jr is survived by his father, Edwin Sr., his mother, Lillian, a sister Desiree and her children.

I am proud to have been given the opportunity to learn more about Eddie's life. Today, and on every September 11th in the future, I will send out extra thoughts for Eddie and his family.

I'd like to end this tribute with a letter to Eddie from his mother, published in the Staten Island Advance:

It's your first anniversary in heaven, but it feels like it was just yesterday. Everyone said it gets easier, you cry less and less and pain gets more bearable. It has been the complete opposite of all that. We miss you and love you so much. We speak to you every day and hope that you hear the pain and suffering that is going on in this family.

Your sister and the kids will never ever forget you, their favorite uncle.

No matter where you go you will have our blessing, our prayers and our love.

Please watch over us with your guiding light.

With all our love, Mom, Dad Desiree and Family, Roc and Nena

P.S. Eddie was like a big brother to all the children. He loved to play basketball and teach it. He had the greatest parents in the world. Now he is in a better place. He is with God and the angels. Now it is time for him to be an angel too. Eddie was an angel everywhere he went and now he's in heaven.

I pray every night that there is a second life with no bad people, only good people.

Love You and Miss you

Tatiana, Kyle, Devin Eddie, Sheiliz, Emilio and Gabriel

Editor's Note: Edwin Zambrana, 24, of Graniteville, was an employee of Project Renewal, the contractor handling cleaning and recycling at the World Trade Center. He is remembered in this letter written by his mother, Lillian, on behalf of his family, with help from his cousin, Tatiana Velez, who added the postscript.

This entry is part of the 2,996 project. If you knew Eddie and feel I have omitted any information or have incorrect information, please let me know and I will correct it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

beautiful tribute. Thank you for your efforts to honor him.

September 11, 2006 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so sad. his poor mother.

it is a beautiful tribute. thank you!

September 11, 2006 10:59 PM  
Blogger Random me said...

That's a wonderful tribute to Eddie.

September 12, 2006 1:19 AM  
Blogger ... said...

Nicely done - it's always so heartbreaking to read what family members have written about their loved ones. Thank you for sharing Eddie with all of us.

September 12, 2006 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eddie, you are in our thoughts and prayers always! May God bless you and your family!

September 11, 2008 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed - Every now and then I walk over to the ferry and place my hand on the stone. You will never be forgotten. May God Bless You!

September 08, 2010 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today was another day I thought of my high school friend Eddie. I decided to look for him on the internet. I never imagined this is what I would find. My heart is saddened by the news of his tragic death. My tears for him pray he is happy, in a better place. Condolences to his family.
God Bless your soul Eddie, may you rest in peace.

September 25, 2010 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be forgotten Eddie

September 25, 2010 10:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I used to go to school with Desiree and knew Eddie. They lived on Shepard Ave. I was watching the 9-11 tribute this morning and only found out this morning that Eddie was one of the people who past. I was very devastated and shocked to find this out. I send my deepest condolences to Eddie's family and friends. To Desiree I am so sorry to find this out. I know how close you were with your brother. He is in heaven now watching over all of you. God bless you all and my Eddie rest in peace.

Sincerely,
Your Friend Jason Cuadrado

September 11, 2012 12:37 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

It was a pleasure knowing such a great soul. Always on my mind and in my heart, still can't believe that your gone, God Bless your soul❤💓💖. You left me with great memories. Prayers for the family....

September 11, 2016 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up wit Eddie in East New York ,he was always a cool guy,played ball wit us all the time and was never foul to anyonr,I was so sad when I heard about his death...my name is Robinson aka Avi I lived on Essex st and he was on my block almost everyday,his sister was tight wit my uncle peewee..

September 11, 2016 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home