Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Well, that was fun...

D and I were driving home from running errands last night when one of those emergency things came over the radio. You know the annoying "beep beep beep" things that are usually just a test. Turns out there is a tornado warning for our county and the storm was headed directly for our house. Luckily, we were only a couple of miles from home.

Just as we pulled in the driveway, the tornado sirens (or whatever they're called) went off. We didn't have those where I grew up. Or if we did, I lived too far away from one to hear it. The blare of the sirens was really creepy to me. Too much like an air raid or something.

I grabbed the dogs and a radio and went into the basement while D got his laptop and tried to round up the cats. Cats are hard to herd into one area. He could only find 2 and gave up (a 3rd was already hiding down there; I knew he was smart). I peeked out the window and it was so still outside. Nothing moved. There wasn't a breeze, no birds flying around. Not even a cricket chirping. It really felt like something was going to happen.

People were calling into the radio station we had on saying they saw wall clouds just a few miles away from us headed our direction. Finally, the reallyd dark clouds moved off over downtown and I finally heard a cricket chirping again. Do you know how relieved I was to hear that cricket?

So we had a fun, tension-filled night. Not to mention trying to deal with the animals while we were down there. Rowan, our 10 year old dog, was pretty good but she knew something was up and was attached to one of our hips at all times. Max, the 5 month old puppy, was excited to explore a new place. A new place with litter boxes full of kitty treats. I'm not sure if she actually sampled any of the wonderful treats. Even though there were 2 humans in the basement, I seemed to be the only one making sure she didn't do anything bad. I finally got fed up and let her eat shit if she wanted too. She finally found the cats' food bowl and snacked on that. The cats were upset that the dogs were in their sanctuary. Remind me again why we have so many animals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home