Thursday, June 01, 2006

Effexor is the devil

I've been taking Effexor for depression for the past few years. It works wonderfully for me but I better not forget to take it. It has the worst withdrawal effects that start a few hours after you miss a dose. I usually take my pills around 7:00 or so. If I forget to take the Effexor (or run out like I did today), by no later than 2:00 I start getting dizzy. Not a normal light-headedness either. Its hard to put into words but its almost like my brain is floating in water inside my head. Like one of those things you can by in cheap gift shops at the beach with a sailboat floating on that fake blue liquid. If I turn my head, my brain turns half a second later. It is the strangest sensation I have ever felt.

By 5:00, I usually get a bad headache. So bad that I can only lie in bed. But lying down makes my whole body feel like that little sailboat from the gift shop. Between the headache and floating feeling, I get really nauseous.

The withdrawal symptoms I've talked about so far usually follow this time line if I know I've forgotten a pill. If that happens, I usually take one as soon as I get home from work, fall asleep until around 10:00 and feel ok. But if I don't realize I missed a pill, I don't notice the effects quit as fast. Knowing I missed a pill lets me watch for the dizziness, etc. If I just plain forget, I can turn into a huge mess. I can turn into a huge blubbering mess. I sink far down into a depression. One time, before D and I moved in together, he had to come over b/c I was sure I was going to end it right then. I'm surprised he didn't run far, far away from me at that point.

All in all, the Effexor has been a life saver for me. I have felt like a normal human being for the first time in my life on it. I just can't forget to take the damn stuff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i have another friend taking a similiar drug which i cant remember the name of- i see commercials for it all the time (i'll leave out her name because i know you know her, and i dont think she would care but i dont want to be naming names without permission)

i know she has problems if she forgets her pill, but it is more then a just sick and then crying and then crazy anger and i think more flue like symptoms, but she is ALWAYS sick, so i dont know how being nautous isnt a normal feeling for her...

she got off the pill recently because her and her husband were trying for kids (without any luck) and now she finds her sister-in-law is pregnant (who tends to be a bit of a stuck up bitch anyway...)

i dont se the next few months being very good for her, and i dont know what i can really do.....


sorry you forgot your pill.... you would think by now that you remember to take it, habit dear, habit...
wake up, shower, get dressed, TAKE PILLS, eat breakfast, go to work....
cmon do i have to tatoo it on you?

j/k j/k

it's been a long week and i want this gel to finish running so i can GO HOME!!
and the hum of the PCR machine is driving me crazy...
crazy i say!!

~jes (why do i even put my name? i'm almost the only one that comments....)

June 02, 2006 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home